SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is a non-profit organization federating 80 Swiss research and service groups of experts in bioinformatics. SIB's 800 scientists join forces to empower advances in life sciences and health by providing life scientists and clinicians with state-of-the-art bioinformatics resources, services, expertise, and Training.
Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
The STRING database is a world-leading life science data resource in the field of protein networks, integrating known and predicted protein-protein links for a quickly growing user community. STRING is being developed by an international team at the following three locations: EMBL (Heidelberg), SIB (University of Zurich), and University of Copenhagen.
To reinforce the Zurich team headed by Prof. Christian von Mering, we are seeking a highly skilled and motivated full-stack developer to help grow and further professionalize the codebase of STRING and its associated data resources, and to advise us on all components from the HPC and cloud backend to the web frontend. Applicants can choose their own preferred languages and design tools, as long as their approach is compatible with a fast turn-around and a strong focus on the user experience.
Scientific Software developer
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
Type of contract
- lead all of the software design and implementation choices
- interact with the user-base: run usability labs, address feedbacks, help in user training
- advise the team on server issues: performance, scalability, virtualization, security
The position is offered for 24 months with the possibility of extensions towards an open-ended contract.
- Diploma (MSc or PhD) in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or a related discipline
- Soft skills: self-motivated individual with excellent organizational skills, able to work effectively as a part of a team
- Proficiency and enthusiasm in software design and implementation
- Languages proficiency in English
- Knowledge of German is not required, but is a plus
- Domain-knowledge in the Biological Sciences is a plus
- Interest in academic teaching is a plus
How to apply