SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is a non-profit organization federating 80 Swiss research and service groups of experts in bioinformatics. SIB's 800 scientists join forces to empower advances in life sciences and health by providing life scientists and clinicians with state-of-the-art bioinformatics resources, services, expertise, and Training.
Curious? Please click here to learn more about working at SIB.
To leverage the potential of health-related data for better disease prevention, improved medical practice and innovative treatments, data needs to be interoperable and accessible to researchers in various disciplines. The Swiss Personalized Health Network initiative (SPHN), a government-funded research infrastructure initiative, was launched in 2017 with the mandate to create coordinated infrastructures to efficiently manage, exchange and process consented health data in accordance with legal and ethical requirements. The Personalized Health Informatics (PHI) Group of SIB coordinates and supports the development, implementation and validation of the network components in close collaboration with the SIB management team in Lausanne and the SPHN Management Office in Bern.
To strengthen our operational workforce, we are looking for Scientific Coordinator (60-80%) to work on projects and operations at the interface of scientific, legal, ethical and regulatory (further referred to as ELSI) issues in the context of SIB related- and SPHN research projects. You will use your scientific background and solid understanding of the legal, ethical and regulatory issues surrounding data-driven research on sensitive biomedical data in Switzerland to help drive forward the SPHN Initiative.
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
60% - 80%
Type of contract
- Point of contact for research teams regarding ELSI matters (helpdesk operations):
- assisting researchers with any ethical, legal and societal questions they may have in the context of research projects;
- attending meetings in which agreements, reports and other documents are elaborated while ensuring compliance to legal and ethical frameworks and standards;
- coordinating the interactions between external stakeholders and SIB/SPHN (e.g. regarding contractual or operational issues), and liaison between involved external departments and SIB legal department;
- Responsibility for ELSI-related issues in the activity portfolio of SIB/PHI and SPHN Management Office;
- Preparation of documentation and provision of scientific secretariat services for SIB and SPHN boards, expert/advisory/working groups;
- Keeping up with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements and trends concerning use and re-use of health data in the Swiss and international scientific and healthcare context by reading literature, attending meetings and communicating with peers;
- Support of other PHI team tasks and activities.
In return for your work, the SIB offers a flexible, dynamic working environment, opportunities for personal and professional development, opportunities to travel within Switzerland and to international meetings and conferences, a good work-life balance, and a flexible work-from-home policy. The working place is Basel (in close proximity to the SBB station).
More information about the PHI Group and its activities is available under:
You hold a master’s degree or higher in a biomedical discipline and have a good understanding of biomedical research. You have demonstrable experience in project management in the healthcare, pharmaceutical or academic life-science setting. Your understanding of the Swiss legal, ethical and regulatory requirements for research with sensitive human data and data privacy is broad, and you can effectively collaborate with legal experts. Besides having excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, you are solution oriented and motivated to advise and support others. You are an excellent team player and effective in taking up new challenges. Outstanding writing and communication skills are expected in English and at least one national language (German and/or French). A sound knowledge of standard IT-tools is essential.
How to apply