SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
80% - 100%
Type of contract
Recent developments in (single-cell) genomics and transcriptomics methods opened new exciting possibilities for discovering important biological and medical relations.
Now, we are seeking to integrate in our team a dynamic, highly motivated young or senior postdoctoral bioinformatician with biological-biomedical expertise and good skills in computational sciences.
The candidate is interested in analyzing and integrating complex data obtained with state-of-the-art high throughput methodologies like RNAseq and single cell data in oncology and immunology. S/he will have the opportunity to take a proactive role in projects aimed for example at molecular cancer classification and at understanding of disease.
The candidate will be part of the group of Dr. Mauro Delorenzi, and will work in a multidisciplinary international team of experts in transcriptomics, genomics and bioinformatics applications in biological and biomedical sciences. We can offer a stimulating environment that actively promotes dynamic interactions between scientists with outstanding long-term career opportunities. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in spoken and written English are essential.
Our team performs bioinformatics data processing, statistical data analysis and biomedical interpretation in the context of collaborative research projects and data analysis services. It is focused on the following types of data:
- molecular data (exome NGS for mutation calling; mRNA and miRNA quantification by sequencing, ChIP-seq data) starting from raw data processing;
- multivariable statistical association and regression analyses, hypothesis testing, development of prediction and classification models, survival analysis;
- biological and molecular information in forms of gene sets, gene networks, tumor subtypes, patient survival, treatment efficacy etc.
The primary aim of the job is to support advanced research projects in biomedical research as a specialist in the analysis of modern molecular / genetics data in combination with other biological and patient data, with an expected focus on single cell RNAseq data in different contexts (cancer research, immunology, biological discovery). The candidate will take a leading role in the testing and application of new methods in a highly competitive international field, to propose new approaches and to collaborate productively with other specialists in an international collaborative effort.
Junior candidates might be eligible since s/he will work together with several senior bioinformaticians who will assist during the learning process.
Our ideal candidate has experience in several of the following areas:
- single cell biology and functional interpretation;
- analysis of data from DNA / RNA sequencing technologies with theR software environment;
- (bio)statistical data analysis (Fluent in R/Bioconductor);
- applied mathematics;
- heavy computational data processing analysis (good programming and Unix and shell scripting skills);
- data and system management;
- cancer and immunological research, or related fields;
- machine learning and classifiers;
- systems biology;
- experimental design;
- teaching translational bioinformatics;
- writing of scientific reports and publications.
Our group is associated with the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics and theinter-institutional Swiss Cancer Center Léman, which includes the institutions with which we collaborate more intensively (UNIL, Ludwig, CHUV, EPFL, HUG, UNIGE).
The candidate will be part of the existing high-profile team, with good opportunities to complete quickly his/her skills set. The position will require the development of skills that are key for the whole field of modern biomedical research, implying excellent future career perspectives in the academic, hospital and private sectors. Our projects are conducted in collaboration with leading actors in the bio/medical field, both locally and internationally.
The position is located in Lausanne, a beautiful lakeside city, with excellent universities, nice campuses, and a dynamically growing economy in a French speaking Alps area.