SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
Type of contract
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is a non-profit organization federating some 70 Swiss research and service groups of experts in bioinformatics. SIB's 800 scientists join forces to empower advances in life sciences and health by providing life scientists and clinicians with state-of-the-art bioinformatics resources, services, expertise, and training.
The Swiss Personalized Health Network (SPHN) is a national initiative creating an infrastructure to enable sharing of health-related data for research across Switzerland. SIB is operating the Data Coordination Centre (DCC) and BioMedIT efforts to establish nationwide interoperability between the geographically distributed partners at hospitals and research institutions.
To provide strategic leadership and implement our mission, we are seeking a Director of the SPHN DCC and the SIB Personalized Health Informatics Group.Role’s purpose
As an inspiring and diplomatic leader, you will spearhead efforts aimed at establishing nationwide interoperability of clinical and health information for research. Your mission is to provide direction and oversight for creating and implementing semantic and technical data interoperability standards, and to manage a network of secure IT infrastructures at Swiss universities (BioMedIT) supporting translational research. To achieve these objectives, you will be leading a team at the DCC, supported by a distributed network of experts at hospitals and universities. You will be comfortable cultivating relationships with high-level stakeholders and contributing to strategic discussions on the future development of SPHN.
- Direct the strategic and policy framework, as well as the operations, towards achieving the DCC's objectives; in close collaboration with Swiss hospitals and universities, lead and manage the national efforts in the organisation of patient clinical and molecular data for personalised health research;
- Provide strategic direction and oversee the implementation of the BioMedIT project to establish a network of secure IT infrastructures and services at Swiss universities;
- Manage the SPHN DCC and BioMedIT budgets, oversee efficient financial planning, management and deployment of resources, lead the development and implementation of a strategy to ensure long-term sustainability;
- Be a point of contact for SPHN with respect to strategic and operational questions around management of health data in Switzerland; organise and streamline communication on SPHN DCC and BioMedIT activities, including progress, priorities, policies, new technologies and decisions;
- Represent SPHN DCC and establish strong working relations with national key stakeholders and relevant international efforts.
- Your team, the Personalised Health Informatics Group, will support you in these tasks, you will be reporting directly to the Executive Director of SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics and to the SPHN National Steering Board, and be a part of the SPHN strategic leadership team;
- Profound experience in health data management, information technology, clinical bioinformatics, proven experience (at least 5 years) at senior level of an organization or network working on clinical and health data;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with colleagues and a wide range of stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment, experience in change management;
- Experience in managing and analyzing relevant clinical and health information, such as genomics, proteomics, imaging, sensor data, eHealth etc.; proficiency in international data models and standards for health information interoperability, such as SNOMED CT, LOINC, HL7, CDISC, OMOP;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and successfully lead multi-stakeholder projects; highly developed analytical, problem-solving, strategic planning and communication skills;
- Proficiency in English, as well as German and/or French.
- Experience working in an academic or public health environment;
- Experience in data-intensive biomedical research (e.g. PhD in bio- or medical informatics or closely related discipline or an MD degree with a strong emphasis on biomedical data or comparable);