The Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL is part of the ETH Domain. Approximately 600 people work on the sustainable use and protection of the environment and on the handling of natural hazards.
The Forest Resources and Management Research Unit records and analyzes changes in the landscape and forest and is seeking for the GIS group by appointment for 2 years an
Application and Database Developer (Java, Postgres) 60-80% (f/m/d)
As a reinforcement of the team, we are looking for a team-oriented employee for the further development of the Virtual Data Center (VDC) and other specialized applications with a focus on biodiversity and GIS within the framework of the project "Data Center Nature and Landscape".
• Further development of the Java backend
• Data modeling and maintenance of our databases and possible migration to PostgreSQL
• Maintenance and further development of the interfaces to the project partners of "InfoSpecies" (Swiss Data and Information Center for Species)
• Further tasks such as collaboration in the maintenance of the GIS server infrastructure
• Collaborating with project team members to further develop the vision of the virtual data center (VDC) so that the Swiss species data can be used in the best possible way for the participating experts
• Education in computer science or geoinformatics or natural sciences with a strong background in computer science
• Familiarity with web technologies and sound knowledge of Java, experience with the Spring Framework or other object-oriented languages is an advantage
• Experience with database management
• Team player who enjoys interdisciplinary work in a research environment
• Highly motivated to learn and implement new emerging technologies
• Fluency in English and one Swiss national language (German, French, or Italian)
Please send your complete application to Stefania Pe, Human Resources WSL, by uploading the requested documents through our webpage. Applications via email will not be considered. Lukas Wotruba, phone +41 (0)44 739 26 83, will be happy to answer any questions or offer further information. The WSL strives to increase the proportion of women in its employment, which is why qualified women are particularly called upon to apply for this position.