Doing the right thing. We are active in Switzerland and 20 countries on four continents. Join us with a commitment to help us bring about a more caring society, as
Syria Programme Coordinator Education
The Syria crisis has disrupted the lives of millions of Syrians. Since 2012, Caritas Switzerland (CACH) has responded to the Crisis by engaging in relief activities, including education, together with partners. In the region, CACH is currently supporting projects for Syrian’s and vulnerable host communities in response to the Crisis across Syria and Lebanon.
Under the guidance of the Syria Country Programme Manager, the Programme Coordinator Education (PCE) is ideally based in Damascus, Syria, and tasked to lead the implementation of an education in emergencies project in Syria. The PCE will also assist the Syria Country Programme Manager in all relevant tasks related to the education programme and in particular its further development and expansion in Syria. Specifically, the PCE will be tasked to develop a scaled project proposal to be submitted to international donor organizations such as ECHO. Tasks include coordination with project partners, liaison with other organizations working with related Ministries, donors and other stakeholders, reporting, knowledge management and other related duties. The PCE will line manage the Syria Programme Officer Education (POE) based in Damascus.
Project Set-Up and Implementation
- Support local partner(s) in the set-up and the development of new projects.
- Ensure with the support of the POE timely and accurate implementation of project activities, ensuring outcomes and outputs are reached as defined by logframes.
- Provide problem-solving solutions and actions in collaboration with implementing partner(s) and in coordination with the responsible supervisor where needed.
- Assist partner(s) with the support of the POE in preparing regular activity-based work plans.
- Ensure the quality of implemented activities and the adherence CACH standards
- Supervise the facilitation/coordination of the implementation activities.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the supervisor
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Conduct regular project visits within Syria to monitor project activities, expenditures and progress towards achieving project outcomes and outputs, and provide structured feedback for internal and external stakeholders.
- Support local partner(s) in the collection, compilation and analysis of relevant high-quality data.
- Support local partner(s) to compile timely internal reports for assigned projects in line with donor requirements and internal CACH regulations and in accordance with set reporting schedules; assure the submission of the reports specified in the reporting schedule.
- Consult the partner to provide necessary training to local staff and implementing partners on M&E and related tools and templates.
- Supervise the preparation of M&E plans and assist with the support of the POE local implementing partners in setting up M&E structures.
- Support partner in developing impact and progress measurements.
- Supervise facilitation/coordination of programme evaluation(s).
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Coordination and Partnership Management
- Represent CACH vis-a-vis donors, the Caritas Network, partners, livelihood/relief and other authorities and institutions and coordination platforms in the Education sector according to the Program Managers instructions.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with partners and keep the Program Manager informed of all education sector partnership developments.
- Ensuring that all planned activities in the education sector are coordinated within national and international/UN coordination bodies.
- Attend coordination meetings in Syria as required and provide updates on CACH projects to the various working groups.
- Supervise the logistical and administrative tasks performed by the POE in the country including small purchases, reservations, preparations for visitors, and other related tasks.
Competencies and Qualifications
- University degree in Humanitarian or Development Studies, International Relations, Business Administration, Social Work, Education or a related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a similar position preferably in Lebanon or Syria.
- Prior experience in Education in Emergencies or Relief / Livelihood in Emergency
- Strong Project Cycle Management skills
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports.
- Experience in data collection and analysis as well as M&E assessment tools are required.
- Proven work experience in a post-conflict setting
- Sound understanding of the Syrian context.
Skills and Competencies
- Highly organized, good capacity of analysis and synthesis, and attention to coherence and detail. Strong inter-personal skills, patience and persistence, if required.
- Strong motivation to work in close partnership with national partners
- Proven ICT skills,
- Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software e. Strong training & facilitation skills.
- Strong writing/reporting skills
- Sound understanding of humanitarian standards h. Solid communication and presentation skills, especially in writing.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision and to cope with time pressure
- Sound experience with modern technology, modern management tools
Language and Other Requirements
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic and English are required.
- Ability to work in Syria
- Willingness to frequently travel to Syria in case of work place in Beirut
Duty Station: Damascus/Syria or Beirut/Lebanon
Travel: Frequent travel to Damascus (subject to workplace)
Expected Start Date: 15.07.2021
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Expected Workload: Full time
Supervisor / Reports to: Syria Country Programme Manager
For further information please contact: Mr Wael Darwish, firstname.lastname@example.org, Country Director Syria
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to receiving your job application by
27 June 2021 latest through our web portal.
Caritas Switzerland, Adligenswilerstrasse 15, CH-6002 Lucerne